Thursday, August 5, 2010

If your child is missing the beginning of the school year...

Please count on them staying after school the first few days they are back (except for Tuesdays) so I can catch up on beginning of the year assessments in spelling (2 assessments), reading (1 assessment), and math (4 assessments).

Also, I'll keep what we've done posted here as there may be some assignments that can be completed before you return. If not, they'll need to be completed upon your return.

  • Read Thank-You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco.
  • Read Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney.
  • Read first 6 chapters of Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner.
  • Writing ideas: Make a list of people and jot down things that happened with those people as possible ideas. For example, my 6 1/2 year-old grandson, Riley, is obsessed with Steve Erwin, loves nature, collected honeybees the last time I visited, observes lizards, and visits the Alligator Farm every week.
  • Writing ideas: Draw a map of a place you love or are very familiar with. (I chose the house I grew up in.) Then write story ideas on the map. (For example, This is the tree that Doug fell out of and broke his arm. I used to lay on the roof here and read and look at clouds.)
  • Math: pp. 1-12 in student journals, plus study links.
  • Make a postcard about you. Use two pieces of cartulina cut to the size of a large postcard. (1/2 of A4 is perfect). One one piece make the back of the postcard: draw a stamp, address it to me, and write me a note about yourself. One the second piece, make the front of the postcard: draw items that have something to do with you. For example, mine has books, art materials, pencils and notebooks, mountains, etc.

No comments: